Read why it is important to share what you know.
A few days ago I started 15-minute share challenge. The idea is to encourage
other developers to share what they know. You might have read dozens of articles
about the curse of assumptions so without further ado:
- If you think that what you know everyone already knows,
- Your English must be perfect to write something,
- You have to spend hours on blog posts / articles,
- Article has to be a masterpiece,
- Other senior developers will laugh at you
You’re wrong! This is why I challenge you to spend at least 15 minutes
per day to share one tip, idea, or an awesome tool you built back in Web 2.0 era.
Again, without further ado; benefits & advantages:
- To explain something you’re forced to challenge your skills and knowledge,
- You can reach prospectives for your company or the SDH you work for,
- You can attract new developers (co-workers),
- You can even share the post on Facebook if you need that ;)
And lastly: you’ll start a ripple effect and others will join you.
To support that, let me quote an excerpt from Getting Real book
That’s because being a good writer is about more than words. Good writers know how to communicate. They make things easy to understand. They can put themselves in someone else’s shoes. They know what to omit. They think clearly. And those are the qualities you need.
- Getting Real by 37Signals
I chose a 15-minute interval out of thin air. Time intervals always force you to use as less as possible, leaving you without another round of improvements.
- You have to get to the point!,
- You will notice that some things could be automated,
- This might be a good workout to make your perfectionism less stand out,
- 15 minutes is less than the time you spend on Facebook
Ready? I’ll be covering automating part, so stay tuned! In the meantime don’t hesitate to review my recent protips.